Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dinner with Family

Last night we had a wonderful dinner with Cody and Mimi - Storm has been asking to have Jerk Chicken for forever now so we decided we would make it. Mimi and Cody told us about the marinade and we knew there was a milder version out there somewhere but Superstore or Safeway didn't sell it so we went with the Super Spicy kind. Mimi did eventually find the milder version which is now tucked away in my fridge for the next time we make it. The first bite was incredible - the flavor is amazing - and then it got HOT!! Mimi also had brought some yummy Jamaican drinks as well - we had a great time. Below is a picture of Jerk Chicken - I borrowed it from the internet - I didn't think to take my own picture - and this looks better anyhow.
For dessert we had an authentic Austrailian dessert called Pavlova - My friend Ro told me about it and it sounded yummy so I thought I would give it a try - I was really happy that she stopped by to give me some helpful hints as I was making it. The bottom layer is a type of meringue that you shape into a cirlce with a flattened centre - you cook it slowly for about an hour and 15 minutes - when you are ready to eat it you fill in the flattened centre with whipped cream and top it with your favorite fruit - we use Mango's, strawberries and kiwi's -it really was the best dessert I have ever eaten - AND there was no chocolate in it - so that's really saying something.
I love having family over for dinner - I love how Cody plays with my kids until they're exhausted - he can usually outlast them - they had a massive playfight out on the front lawn with these rock em sock em blow up fisty things (Merrill and Isaac's friends brought them over) It was hilarious to watch. Cody was knocking them flying and the kids just kept coming back for more. Then they decided to use their shoes as weapons - so Cody put their shoes up on the roof. It really was good times for everyone involved.
Anyways that's about all for today - oh wait - can't leave without one quick Andy story. Brother Siakaluk in our ward came up to me after church and told me they were teaching about repentance and baptism in primary today for sharing time. He was talking about how when we are baptizd we become perfect again - Andy jumps in and says "Well my brother was baptized and he isn't perfect" I wish I could have been there.

2 comments:

Jenie said...

mmmmm...sounds delicious! Hilarious story about Andy...kids just say it like it is.

Barb said...

Can't wait to try out your dessert!